Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Wisteria is Coming

Asian Wisteria is a rather pretty and floriferous plant that is incredibly invasive in the southeast US.  As Fairweather Gardens describes it, "[it] grows up to 100 feet, rooting wherever it touches the ground."  It is the bane of our yard, growing high up in a number of pine trees along the property line and putting runners halfway across the lawn.  In fact, last weekend, my wife, our neighbor and myself spent several hours cutting it off at ground level and treating it with Roundup.  We generally refrain from using poisons in our yard but wisteria is the one exception. 

So why am I telling you this? Because the reason it is so prevalent around here is the beautiful flowers it gets early in the spring.  We have one plant that was planted next to the deck and well away from anything else.  So that one is staying for now.  But I cut back the runners that grow under the deck every year.  And that plant is getting its spring buds right now.  And those buds make up my submission this week for Macro Monday.  You can see other macro shots over at Lisa's Chaos.  Hope you enjoy and come back in a few weeks when I'll post some shots of the flowers once they open.


7 comments:

  1. My wisteria buds looked just like yours a few days ago, then it rained - suddenly purple blooms hanging down!
    It is a battle to keep it cut back. We cut it back, mow down every sprig that springs up unwanted, dig and pull the runners from the ground, and it still keeps coming! Hope we don't have to resort to poison, but I certainly understand why a person would.
    Happy Macro Monday!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily it is suposed to be dry here for a few more days. I also gladly go after the runners with the mower.
      Bryan

      Delete
  2. I was out looking at mine today. My buds aren't quite this big yet but with very warm days ahead this week I may be posting macros next week. :)
    Mine grows over the pergola on my deck. We had to really chop it back last year. The blooms really are worth the trouble though I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blooms definitely nice. If only it would stop after that.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting reading and nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Informative post and lovely macro shot ~ thanks, namaste, Carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete